- Baiyun Zeng and Kaicun Zhao (2017). Neurobiology of Chinese Herbal Medicine – International
Review of Neurobiology Volume 135. 1st Ed. Elsevier Inc. London. ISBN: 9780128117798
- Baiyun Zeng, Kaicun Zhao and Fanrong Liang (2013). Neurobiology of Acupuncture – International
Review of Neurobiology Volume 111. 1st Ed. Elsevier Inc. London. ISBN-10: 0124115454 | ISBN-13:
- Zhao K (Co-author): (2009) Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants, Zhao ZZ & Xiao PG, Chief Ed.
1st Ed. Shanghai World Publishing Corporation, Shanghai; ISBN 978-7-5100-0968-6
About Dr Kaicun Zhao
Dr. Kaicun Zhao is the programme leader of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Chinese herbal medicine degrees at Middlesex University. His expertise is focused on herbal materia medica and Chinese herbal formula.
- Materia Medica
- Chinese herbal formula
- Herbal medicine research
Dr Kaicun Zhao teaches:
- On the Herbal Medicine Diploma for Acupuncturists
Dr. Zhao also serves as a member of the Expert Advisory Groups on herbal medicines for British Pharmacopoeia Commission and a member of the Herbal Medicine Advisory Committee of MHRA. He worked for many years as a council member and then as the president of the Association of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture, the largest professional body in Chinese medicine and acupuncture in the UK.
Dr. Zhao graduated with a Medical Bachelor degree in traditional Chinese herbal medicine from Beijing University of Chinese Medicine in 1982. Then, he gained a Master of Medicine degree following a further training at Peking Union Medical College. In 1994, he was awarded a PhD degree at Royal Postgraduate Medical School of London University and specialised in clinical pharmacology.
Dr. Zhao has been for long time interested in the research in clinical Pharmacology and clinical trials of natural products and medicines developed from Chinese medicinal herbs. He worked as research fellow at the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Imperial College and King’s College London respectively. His research works involved in the phase I clinical trial of artemisinin (Qinghaosu) and its derivatives was awarded the Prize for Scientific Progression by the Ministry of Public Health of China. While working on research, he is also attending clinical practice in Chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture. Some selected publications are listed on the left.
For more information about our courses, please send us a message!
- Bai-Yun Zeng and Kaicun Zhao (2014). Acupuncture treatment for Parkinson’s disease. The Journal of
Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture 21(2):1-4
- Kaicun Zhao, Catherine Isawa, Ajit Shah and Celia Bell. (2014). Determination of berberine in Phellodandron (Huang Bai) species. The Journal of Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture 21:40-41
- Kaicun Zhao (2013). Acupuncture for the Treatment of Insomnia. In Bai-Yun Zeng, Kaicun Zhao, Fan-Rong Liang, editors: International Review of Neurobiology, Vol. 111, Burlington: Academic Press,
- Angela Wanki Lai and Kaicun Zhao (2011) A Survey on Management of Chronic Back Pain with Acupuncture in NHS Hospitals – The Patient Perception. Journal Of The Association of Traditional
Chinese Medicine. Vol. 18 (2): 36-40
- Shuying Cheng and Kaicun Zhao (2010) Effectiveness of Acupuncture with Tuina on the Knee Osteoarthritis – A Pilot Clinical Study. Journal Of The Association Of Traditional Chinese Medicine Vol. 18 (1): 43-47
- Zhao K, Whiteman M, Spencer JEP and Halliwell B (2001) DNA damage by nitrite and peroxynitrite: Protection by dietary phenols. Methods in Enzymology 335:296-307.
- Halliwell_B, Zhao_K and Whiteman_M (2000) The gastrointestinal tract: a major site of antioxidant action? Free Radical Research 33:819-830.
- Zhao K (2000) Status and Developments of traditional Chinese medicine in Britain. Journal Of The Association Of Traditional Chinese Medicine 17(1):11-12.
- Zhao K, Murray S, Davies DS, Boobis AR and Gooderham NJ (1994) Metabolism of the food derived mutagen and carcinogen 2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine (PhIP) by human liver
microsomes. Carcinogenesis 15:1285-1288
- ZHAO Kaicun, LIN Bingliu, CHEN Zhixi, GUO Xingbo, LI Guoqiao and SONG Zhenyu (1988) Studies on the clinical pharmacokinetics of artesunate and artemether. Chinese J. Clin. Pharmacol. 4:76
Virtual Chinese Herbal Medicine DiplomaDr You Jun Wang, Dr Zan Yu Chen, Dr Da Peng Zhang, Dr Kaicun Zhao, Dr Fanyi Meng
One Needle Therapy MasterclassDr Michael Chung, Dr Wei Chieh Young
Master Tung’s Acupuncture Workshops – Level 1, 2 & 3Dr Michael Chung
Scalp Acupuncture MasterclassDr Hui Nie
The Complete Course of Tung’s AcupunctureDr Wei Chieh Young
Diploma in Practical Chinese Herbal MedicineDr MingZhao Cheng, Dr Kaicun Zhao, Professor Ye Zhang, Dr Fanyi Meng
2 Week Clinical Study Trip in ShanghaiProfessor Ye Zhang